Adafruit has designed this 3W stereo amplifier board with the size of a Raspberry Pi Zero. It works with all models of the Pi, the Raspberry Pi 3 as well as the Raspberry Pi Zero and Raspberry Pi Zero W. The Adafruit I2C 3W Stereo Speaker Bonnet lets you easily build a 3W stereo system that works great in Raspbian and Retropie.
The IC on the board is a stereo Class-D amplifier based on the MAX98357 chip. It’s made to power 4 Ohm or 8 Ohm speakers with a sample rate of up to 96kHz.
The interface to the Speaker Bonnet is via a I2C interface of the Raspberry Pi. This will give you a great sound quality. Much better than the sound you get out the 3.5mm jack of your Raspberry Pi 3. It is powered through the 5V supply of the Raspberry Pi. This means you don’t need to have an external power supply, which is great.
This amplifier board is very easy to use. Plug it into your Raspberry Pi, run the installer script provided by Adafruit, and you are ready to go.
Get your Adafruit Speaker Bonnet here:
- Class-D Stereo Amplifier: 2x 3.2W Output Power into 4 Ohm speaker
- Sample Rate. Up to 96 kHz
- 3W Stereo Speaker Bonnet Pinout
- Product Dimensions: 65.0mm x 30.0mm x 7.2mm / 2.6″ x 1.2″ x 0.3″
- Product Weight: 7.4g / 0.3oz
- Instructions, datasheets, schematics, files, Fritzing object and more in the Adafruit product guide.