The JustBoom Amp HAT is a high-quality audio amplifier for your Raspberry Pi. It’s been designed for the Raspberry Pi A+, B+, 2B or the new 3B and plugs straight onto your Pi, no soldering required. Just connect 2 high quality speakers and an external power supply to the Amp HAT – your are ready to experience one of the best quality audio that’s available for your Raspberry Pi.
The external power supply is required since the Amp HAT can output up to 2 x 55W ( 2 x 30 W RMS). This means the power supply should be quite beefy, minimum 24V / 75W is recommended for 8 Ohm speakers.
The Amp HAT uses the I2S interface for its audio input which reduces CPU load on the Raspberry Pi compared to USB solutions. It has been designed to power the Raspberry Pi over the 40 pin GPIO header. This means you only need a single power supply for the entire system.
All of the GPIO pins are sill accessible on the Amp HAT. This will allow you to add additional components to your project like, buttons, LEDs, sensors or anything else you might need.
Get your Amp HAT here: Get It Now!
Amp HAT Features
- Full high quality audio – 192kHz / 32bit
- 2 x 55 Watt peak output at 8 ohms (2 x 30 Watt RMS)
- Includes both a DAC and power amplifier – just connect to your passive speakers
- Back-powers the Raspberry Pi over the GPIO (with full HAT compliant protection) at 2.5A so only one power supply required for the whole system.
- Plug and play compatibility for ease of use
- Hardware and software volume control from your Raspberry Pi
- Onboard, hardware jumpers for configuring mute and gain settings (jumpers could optionally be changed with switches)
- Mute/enable with GPIO22 (this can be overridden by using jumper J4)
- No soldering required
- Compatible with Raspberry Pi A+,B+, 2B and the new 3B (and also compatible with the Raspberry Pi Zero, but we would recommend the JustBoom Amp Zero for this purpose)
- Mounting hardware included
- Optional IR receiver included in package
- Unused GPIO pins still accessible via unpopulated extension header
- The Raspberry Pi Amplifier is fully HAT compliant
- Full driver support in Raspbian / NOOBS
- Compatible with JustBoom Player / OSMC / Max2Play /RuneAudio / Volumio / Moode / PiCorePlayer / PiMusicBox / OpenELEC and others
Check out the video from Sparkfun, introducing the JustBoom Amp series. If you like their video, subscribe to their channel and give them a thumbs up!